Saturday, October 15, 2016

Gardenias

Crowds pass by on the ancient streets
Hushed and weary at the end of the day.
And like them I can find nowhere to rest.
Though I too long for the end of day

Gardenias are blooming outside my window,
In a white profusion, as soft as velvet.
Their scent drifts in on the evening air,
Lingering, sensual and sharp, like pain.

When you left me you took everything.
Leaving me here in this empty room,
With just these flowers and regrets,
Soft and resilient as memories of you.

Such beauty is a power in the world,
You touched me and I lost my balance,
I'm dizzy with just the thought of you,
Like seeing heavens in all their glory.

The spice of gardenias on a dying wind,
Of these unblemished flowers takes me,
Back to our days together in this room
To a love fate won't let me forget.

Brent Hightower
copyright 2016 Brent Hightower
21stcenturyperceptions.blogspot.com
*image public domain